In an era dominated by wireless technology, researchers have become increasingly worried about the impacts of radiation emitted by our devices.
Central to this debate is electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation, a by-product emitted by all electronics, including the ubiquitous smartphone. Even though EMF remains invisible to the naked eye, the health implications linked to its prolonged exposure are becoming increasingly hard to ignore.
While smartphones might seem innocuous given their size, their persistent proximity to our bodies means they often surpass even nearby cell towers as primary sources of EMF radiation exposure.
This exposure has been linked to a myriad of health problems, from persistent headaches, insomnia, and fertility issues to more severe concerns like hormonal imbalances, digestive disturbances, and even cancer.
The gravity of these revelations has led the World Health Organization (WHO) to officially classify EMFs as potential carcinogens.
Table of Contents
Evidence Of EMF Harm
The past few decades have witnessed a surge in interest regarding the effects of EMF.
Berkeley researcher Joel Moskowitz said, “Cellphones, cell towers and other wireless devices are regulated by most governments…Our government stopped funding research on the health effects of radiofrequency radiation in the 1990s.”
Recently, some 250 scientists, authors of more than 2,000 research articles and letters, have jointly endorsed the International EMF Scientist Appeal. This appeal urgently calls for reinforced health warnings and more stringent exposure restrictions.
The consensus within the scientific community is palpable. Many are sounding the alarm bells on the potential ‘health time bomb’ posed by phone radiation.
Furthermore, even as phones are subjected to specific absorption rate (SAR) regulatory limits, the emerging consensus suggests these limits may be alarmingly high.
The detrimental effects, it appears, can manifest even at lower exposure levels. Understanding and navigating these invisible threats is paramount as we embrace a wireless society.
1: Anti-Radiation Phone Cases
When it comes to shielding yourself from EMF radiation emitted by your smartphone, anti-radiation phone cases are a superb option.
Designed with layers to disrupt radiation emitted by phones, these cases effectively clamp down on EMF emissions. While this can also block wireless communications such as WiFi, many cases are engineered to prevent radiation from penetrating the body – the protective material is only placed on the side facing the body.
WaveWall cases are tested to block 85% of EMF radiation – easily sufficient to cut the worst health impacts of our smartphone devices.
We offer three different types of cases:
2: EMF Shielding Paint
EMF shielding paint reduces EMF exposure in larger spaces, like rooms in your home or office.
This special type of paint contains particles of metal, often nickel or silver, both of which have excellent EMF shielding properties.
EMF shielding paint creates a sort of ‘Faraday cage effect‘ on your walls, reducing the amount of EMF radiation that can penetrate them from outside sources. Some of these paints reportedly block 80 to 90% of EMF radiation. EMF paint is often used in professional and laboratory settings.
Also, it’s essential to consider that this method only reduces EMFs coming from outside the painted area – it won’t protect against EMFs produced inside the same room.
Always remember, the best protection is prevention. Be conscious of your electronic device usage and proactively adopt habits and products that can help mitigate potential risks.
3: Wired Internet Connections
In our digital age, wireless internet connections are the norm.
We’ve grown accustomed to the convenience of Wi-Fi, being able to connect our myriad of devices without a second thought. But this convenience comes with a cost: increased EMF exposure.
One straightforward way to mitigate this is by using wired internet connections. Ethernet cables provide a direct and secure connection between your device and the network, eliminating the need for Wi-Fi.
You should definitely consider moving WiFi routers away from your bedroom or switching them off at night – there’s no harm in it!
4: Air Tube Headsets
Headphones and earbuds, especially those that use Bluetooth, are often overlooked EMF sources.
They transmit electrical signals (containing the audio data) directly into your ear. Some researchers believe headphones are even worse than smartphones, as they directly beam radiation into the ear canal, where there’s little obstruction to the brain.
An innovative solution here is the air tube headset. These devices work by converting electrical signals into sound waves and using hollow tubes filled with air to transmit these sound waves to your ear.
WaveWall offers AirTube headphones designed to cut EMF radiation from travelling into your ears and brain from your mobile device.
5: Reducing Phone Usage and Device Dependence
The most straightforward way to reduce EMF exposure is by limiting the amount of time spent using EMF-emitting devices, particularly smartphones, which we tend to keep near our bodies throughout the day.
Many people find reducing phone usage daunting – but it’s beneficial for both our mental and physical health.
A digital detox can benefit practically anyone who spends a lot of time on their devices, either for work or entertainment. In the process, you’ll cut your exposure to EMF radiation – a win-win.
6: Use Airplane Mode
Airplane mode is available on virtually all smartphones, tablets, and other electronic devices. When activated, this setting disables many of the device’s transmitting functions.
This includes cellular connection, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS, making your device go ‘offline’ but still allowing access to many of its features like games, camera, and previously downloaded content.
Airplane mode offers a handful of benefits:
- Reduced EMF Exposure: Since your device stops searching for wireless signals and transmitting data, the amount of EMF radiation it emits is drastically reduced.
- Battery Savings: With most transmitting functions off, your device consumes less power, extending battery life. It’s advantageous when you need your device to last longer during outings, events, or travel.
- Digital Detox: Using airplane mode can also serve as a break from constant notifications and online distractions, allowing you to reconnect with the offline world.
When to Use It?
- During Sleep: EMF exposure can potentially disrupt sleep. Turning on airplane mode during night time ensures you’re not bombarded with EMFs when your body is recovering.
- While Travelling: Mobile devices work harder to connect to new cell towers when moving, emitting more radiation. Switching to airplane mode can mitigate this.
- In Meetings or Study Sessions: Using airplane mode can be a boon to staying focused without the constant ping of notifications.
7: Principle of Distance: Your Invisible Barrier Against EMFs
Last but never least, consider distancing yourself from your radiation sources.
The inverse square law dictates that as the distance from the source doubles, the radiation intensity is divided by four. This means the further you are from an EMF source, the exponentially less radiation you’re exposed to.
Distancing Yourself from Your Phone:
- The Pocket Problem: Many people habitually carry their phones in their pockets, unaware that this places the EMF source in close proximity to vital organs. Over time, this continuous exposure can accumulate.
- Smart Alternatives: Opting for a handbag, backpack, or simply placing your phone on a desk when not in use can create a beneficial buffer, reducing daily EMF exposure.
Wi-Fi Routers and Household Radiation:
- Ever-Present EMFs: Wi-Fi routers, essential for modern connectivity, are also perpetual EMF emitters, affecting everyone in its range.
- Strategic Placement: Position routers away from bedrooms and living areas, ideally in less frequented locations like hallways or storage rooms. This minimises EMF exposure during the day.
- Night-time Tactics: As most households rarely require internet connectivity during sleeping hours, consider switching off routers at night to create an EMF-free resting environment.
Summary: How To Block EMF
Many of us would concede using our phones too much, so remember, reducing device dependence is beneficial in limiting EMF exposure and improves sleep quality, mental health, and overall well-being.
It’s a holistic approach that can lead to a healthier, more balanced life!
Shop our range of anti-EMF products here.